Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Quicker and Easier Way to Search

A new search service is about to be launch called, Poynt. It will be available to Windows Live(TM) Messenger platform in the United States. What this does is allows people to get information through IM's, without having to open up a browsing site. Simply send a message to the "Poynt Buddy" on your buddy list and it will send you back local information.

Does anyone remember "SmartBuddy"? When I was in high school, you could put smart buddy on your buddy list and you could have small conversations with it. It would tell you jokes or give you your horoscope. There was not a whole lot it was able to perform, but was still entertaining. I view Poynt as a better, more efficient "SmartBuddy". Instead of making pointless conversations you and your friends can laugh at, you can look up local information and have it sent right to your computer screen. For instance, you could have instant local movie times sent to your IM in seconds.

I know one of the first places they want to launch this search service is on college campuses. Do you feel as though this is a good idea that many college students will pick up and use? Do you feel that it could potentially be easier and more effecient than using a search browser?

Please let me know how you feel, I would love to get some people's thoughts. News Release

1 comment:

nicridge said...

I think this is a great idea to be picked up on college campuses. It would be nice to have this to look up local events, movies, etc., especially for new college students in new cities. I think this would be easier and more efficient for people to start using and will be interesting to see if it becomes popular or not.