Friday, April 11, 2008

Social Media Theses


Today in class we talked about the "Cluetrain Manifesto," which is 95 theses created by a couple guys that gives their ideas and thoughts on social media. There were a few theses that I thought were ridiculous, but others that were right on.

20. Companies need to realize their markets are often laughing. At them.
27. By speaking in language that is distant, uninviting, arrogant, they build walls to keep markets at bay
32. Smart markets will find suppliers who speak their own language.

These were a couple that I liked. I also think they go hand in hand. Companies don't realize that many times people are making fun of them. Either because they are so outdated or because their product is terrible. For whatever reason it it, if companies started getting involved with their public I think they would be able to receive great ideas and input. In addition, part of the reason we are laughing at them is because they are using language that their market either doesn't understand or offends them (I am laughing at them right now). I don't understand how companies can be so naive.

Smart companies who are getting involved with their users and consumers are reaping the benefits. For example, Dell and Southwest Airlines have opened up and let in different social media outlets and they are receiving great results!

No comments: