We are all aware that the the Super Bowl is one of the best times to advertise your product or service. Advertisers are able to reach all different types of audiences because there is such an array of audiences that watch the Super Bowl.
This year there are several advertisements that weren't as entertaining as we would have hoped. Are the quality of these commercials declining or are we expecting too much? Another thing to think about is are these commercials good PR for their company? Many commercials are creating a strategy based on comedy. Therefore, they make fun of other products and sometimes use inappropriate gestures and ideas to get laughs. Does this demean the image of their product and company, or do we look past that because we enjoy the humor?
Advertising and PR go hand-in-hand, but I sometimes feel as though advertisers look past PR responsibilities of creating and maintaining certain images for a company.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think your post, "Super Bowl Advertisements" was very interesting. As I was watching the commercials, I was also noticing how some brands where "stealing" ideas from other brands. While I love both the Budweiser and miller lites ads,Miller lite "stole" the dalmatian from the Budweiser ads, as a joke for their commercial. I did think that the commercial was funny, but it also made me step back and think about the intention behind the commercial.
I think you raise an interesting point about advertising and pr going hand in hand. Advertiser's must think about the PR's job as well when building their campaigns.
Some of my students were complaining that this year's ads included many that were racist or sexist. Did you think so, and if so how can that be good PR?
I feel that advertising and PR need to work together and both be moving in the same direction. The commercials that showed forms of racism and sexism are probably not on the same page with their PR team. Clearly this would not be the message or image a company would want to send out. So to answer your question, it may be funny advertising (which is often effective) but it's not good PR.
Post a Comment